Tuesday 21 April 2015

The Midnight Intruder

Moving to this clean country had been my dream for ages. And when it finally materialised, I was on cloud nine. Though I missed the Pani Puris and Vada Pavs, I was happy to leave behind the ever-surrounding dust, the loud traffic and the broken pavements with litter  strewn on the sides. Though I had to leave everything back in India and fit my house within the 90kg luggage limit, I was quite contented. Right around the corner is a Chinese restaurant, that I  usually pass by slowly, to identify the variety of dishes in the bowls and plates.

 I was walking to my bus stop when I first noticed him there. Being dark-brown, he stood out. He had positioned himself  closer to the grass. My pulse raced. Maybe, some things cannot be left behind. I took a longer route to avoid him. From then on, I started noticing him there frequently and it was always the same. A few extra metres , a leap , a hurried walk without a second glance.. Anything to stay away from him. But deep inside, I knew that a confrontation was due soon.

Behind the house is a cluster of bushes that I have never ventured into.  Seperating it from the kitchen is a just small wall. Yesterday was just another typical weekday night. I had double checked the doors and windows before climbing into the bed.  Located close to the equator, rains are frequent here. I woke up to the roll of thunder just a little past midnight. Using up the little strength that I had in my groggy state to fight back my share of the quilt, I got up to attend nature’s call.  Fumbling  with the switchboard, I finally managed to switch on the light. There he was, waiting for me. This was one place I’d always come alone.  I was jolted awake. Gone was the need and all my senses were alerted to his presence. He hadn’t moved an inch. He stood right there, as if mocking me to come closer if I dared. A clap of thunder assured me that my screams will go unnoticed by the neighbours.  I mustered my courage and put a step forward. And he charged..

The next few moments were a blur. I remember screaming out my lungs before running to the kitchen to shut myself in.Only when I heard the loud smack and the reassuring voice of my husband did I open the kitchen door. I knew that there will be a lot to deal with in the morning, for all the midnight drama that I had been responsible for. But then, I let out a sigh of relief after seeing the broken light-brown wings protruding from the crumpled paper in the dustbin.

No comments:

Post a Comment